In 2018, I tracked 28 purchases/acquisitions/mergers, lots of money raised, some layoffs, some hiring, and a continued influx of startups into the recruitment marketing industry. In other words, a pretty good year. Let’s take a closer look:
- January: DHI continued to devolve by selling HealtheCareers; ShiftGig laid off 75 employees; Indeed said ‘yes’ to subscriptions for employers using its resume database; and ZipRecruiter bought the job board software provider Jobboard.io.
- February: iCIMS decides to buy TextRecruit; JobAdX launches their job ad marketplace; the French site GoJobs raises $21 million; and Monster sells its Asia-Pacific holdings as it continues to focus on a reboot.
- March: Addeco spends a reported $100M for Vettery; HackerRank raises $30M; Monster’s revenue goes down while Indeed’s revenue goes up; ZipRecruiter raises $50M; JobsAndTalent raises $62M; and SEEK continues to show strong revenue growth.
- April: RealMatch plays the name-change game, becoming PandoLogic; Randall-Reilly buys Smart Rhino Labs; CV-Library buys Education-Jobs.co.uk; and BlueCrew picks up $14M in funding to tackle the blue-collar staffing industry.
- May: German job board giant Stepstone buys Universum; Indeed buys Workopolis; CareerBuilder sells EMSI; DHI hires a new CEO, Art Zeile; Google for Jobs rolls out in Canada and India; and Wonolo lands $13M in new funding.
- June: DHI devolves a bit more by selling Hcareer; JobCloud hits a record $101M in revenue; Adzuna raises $10M; Recruit bought Glassdoor for a cool $1.2B; and Xing saw revenues (and members) reach new heights.
- July: ZipRecruiter moves into a new office to help house its 1000 employees; French site LeBonCoin launches voice job search; Hired raises $30M in new funding; Beamery raises $28M; and LinkedIn adds a bunch of new candidate features.
- August: UpWork files for an IPO; Google for Jobs rolls out in the U.K.; ex-UpWorker Fabio Rosati becomes Snag’s CEO; DHI’s Dice exits Germany and the U.K.; and Adzuna snags Indeed’s former sales leader Christopher Gamble.
- September: DHI’s revenues drops 8% year over year; Maimai lands $200M in investments; Indeed’s revenues climb 53%; Symplicity buys Contratanet; and Meinestadt.de adds voice search.
- October: RegionsJob plays the name-change game, becoming HelloWork; Talent Inc. buys ResumeRabbit; JobToday raises $16M; Dice launches TalentSearch; and CareerBuilder gets a new CEO, Irina Novoselsky.
- November: pymetrics raises $40M; Ringier AG buys MyJobs; ZipRecruiter raises $156M; Indeed Ireland sees revenues rise 66%; and Maimai invests $144M in career counseling services.
Not a bad few months, eh? There seem to be hints that the VC money train is slowing, but there are still plenty of startups landing funding. I also hear rumors of more job board buying and selling, so 2019 could be exciting! I guess we’ll just have to find out.[Want to get Job Board Doctor posts via email? Subscribe here.].