‘Frankenstorm’ is washing ashore, an election is in the offing – yet things keep happening in our industry, too. That’s good, I guess – I wouldn’t want anyone (especially myself) getting bored. So here is my round up of what’s happened over the past month and a half:
- iCIMS Acquires Jobmagic: The SaaS talent acquisition software provider iCIMS purchased JobMagic, a social recruiting platform. iCIMS appears to be putting a $35 million outside investment from Susquehanna Growth Equity to work. I expect JobMagic to become much higher profile in the coming months.
- Zao Provides Branded Landing Pages for Companies: Zao, a social recruitment startup, rolled out free company pages that included video, images, and other goodies – all designed, of course, to entice companies to use Zao’s paid services. Zao is also putting its VC money ($1.3M) to work. Is Jobvite worried yet? I doubt it.
- BranchOut Hires Ex-Yahoo! SVP for COO: BranchOut – which certainly experienced its own ups and downs this year – hired Ebbe Altberg, a former SVP at Yahoo!. Altberg has plenty of challenges facing him – BranchOut continues to see its activity and membership dwindle.
- Dice Picks Up Geeknet: In another acquisition, Dice Holdings purchased Geeknet, a network of technology sites including Slashdot, Sourceforge, and and Freecode. The move will expand Dice’s presence in the tech world and further diversify its revenue streams. In other Dice news, the company saw Q3 revenues of $48 million and an 18% increase in net income year over year. 2013 may be a very good year for Dice.
- Oracle buys SelectMinds: Oracle picked up SelectMinds, a cloud-based social recruiting provider. SelectMinds joins Taleo in the Oracle family, and it seems clear Oracle is looking to build out a full range of recruiting options.
- RemarkableHire launches social search and rank for techies: RemarkableHire launched their cloud-based social recruiting search tool. The system searches multiple tech-oriented sites to provide recruiters with a deeper look at techies.
- Job boards are really tanking now: Only a few launched over the past several months: Behance, QFive, WorkInStartups, GradSpring, SILP, RecruitDisability.org, Hironomy, DeveloperAuction, ZurbJobs, SexDrugsAndJobs, and Entrestar. Okay, so maybe they aren’t tanking.
- LinkedIn Adds a Lot of Stuff: No news roundup would be complete without the latest LinkedIn news. The site added ‘Endorsements‘ (a super-quick way to highlight skills), ‘Influencers‘ (follow the best and brightest), Facebook-like ‘home pages‘ (just like it sounds), and new profile pages. As I said last week, LinkedIn is not sitting still.
Then there was also that tiny bit of news thatwas acquired for $1B+. Who’s next?
[Want to get Job Board Doctor posts via email? Subscribe here.].